- If you rattle a snake, you should be prepared to be bitten by it.
- The thing that will hurt you will always keep on coming back even if you try to avoid it.
- A child who says the mouth of an elder smells beckons to his or her untimely death.
- Only a wise person can solve a difficult problem.
- The frown on the face of the goat will not stop it from being taken to the market.
- Wisdom is like a baobab tree; no one individual can embrace it.
- The person who has not traveled widely thinks his or her mother is the best cook.
- A bug grows up in the dry wood, and yet it comes to maturity.
- If you have no teeth, do not break to clay cooking pot.
- One who enters the forest does not listen to the breaking of the twigs in the bush.
Monday, 30 November 2015
Saturday, 28 November 2015
Friday, 27 November 2015
Thursday, 26 November 2015
Wednesday, 25 November 2015
•Smooth sea does not make skillful sailors.
•Life is a shadow and a mist; it passes quickly by and is no more.
•When one is in trouble, one remembers God.
•An intelligent enemy is better than a stupid friend.
•A big fish is caught with a big bait.
•Once an opportunity is lost can not be regained.
•Do not call to a dog with a whip in your hand.
•A woman lacks good character but yet complains of no good suitor.
•A proverb is the horse that can carry one swiftly to the discovery of ideas.
•When the leaf falls to the ground, the leaf gets the blame.
•BY OLALEKAN ODUNTAN Copyrights: © 2015
Friday, 20 November 2015
•Water that has been begged for does not quench the thirst.
•Where you will sit when you are old shows where you stood in youth.
•A dog which refuses a bone is not alive.
•Do not scare the birds you are going to shoot.
•He is a fool whose sheep runs away twice.
•No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.
•The moon moves slowly but it crosses the town.
•A strawberry blossom will not sweeten dry bread.
•Love is like a baby, it needs to be treated tenderly.
•Copyrights © OLALEKAN ODUNTAN 2015
Thursday, 19 November 2015
Tuesday, 17 November 2015
•Talking with one another is loving one another.
•Good millet is known at the market.
•A little rain each day will fill the rivers to overflowing.
•Earth is the queen of beds.
•A friend is someone you share the path with.
•Time destroys all things.
•Equality is not easy, but superiority is painful.
•It is better to be loved than feared.
•A roaring lion kills no game.
•Copyrights: OLALEKAN ODUNTAN © 2015
Monday, 16 November 2015
•It is better to refuse than to accept and not go.
•Rain beats a leopard's skin, but it does not wash out the spots.
•Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.
•Sickness accompanies a waning moon, a new moon cures disease.
•He who asks question cannot avoid the answers.
•When your neighbor is wrong you point a finger, but when you are wrong you hide.
•Evil enters like a needle but spreads like an oak tree.
•One camel does not make fun of the other camel's hump.
•Always being in a hurry does not prevent death, neither does going slowly prevent living.
•The death of an elderly man is like a burning library.
•Hope is the pillar of the world.
•BY OLALEKAN ODUNTAN Copyrights: © 2015
Sunday, 15 November 2015
Friday, 13 November 2015
- Death does not sound a trumpet.
- When the cock is drunk, he forgets about the hawk.
- The friends of our friends are our friends.
- When one is in love, a cliff becomes a meadow.
- Knowledge is like a garden: if it is not cultivated, it cannot be harvested.
- The rain does not recognize anyone as a friend, it drenches all equally.
- After a foolish deed comes a remorse.
- Do not tell the man who is carrying you that he stinks.
- To be without a friend is to be poor indeed.
- It takes a whole village to raise a child.
Wednesday, 11 November 2015
- The most dangerous thing a man needs is a woman.
- By getting angry, you show you are wrong.
- Do not call the forest that shelters you a jungle.
- Do not step on the dog's tail, and he will not bite you.
- You cannot build a house for last year's summer.
- Wealth is like hair in the nose: it hurts to be separated whether from a little or from a lot.
- He who marries a beauty marries trouble.
- Copying everyone else all the time, the monkey one day cuts his throat.
- There is always a better man for every good man.
- He who does not cultivate his field will die of hunger.
Tuesday, 10 November 2015
Sunday, 8 November 2015
- If you damage the character of another, you damage your own.
- No one tests the depth of a river with both feet.
- A chattering bird builds no nest.
- A single bracelet does not jingle.
- A good deed is something one returns.
- We will water the thorn for the sake of the rose.
- If your mouth turns into a knife, it will cut off your lips.
- A man who has bread to eat does not appreciate the severity of a famine.
- A coward dies many times before his death while a brave dies but once.
- When you change kings, you change customs.
Friday, 6 November 2015
- If you are too smart to pay the doctor, you had better be too smart to get ill.
- Nothing is so difficult that diligence can not master it.
- Words are sweet, but they never take the place of food.
- You don't need pain killers for another man's headache.
- The wind does not break a tree that bends.
- Words are like eggs: when they are hatched, they have wings.
- A wise man who knows proverbs reconciles the difficulties.
- No matter how long the night, the day is sure to come.
- Death is like a robe everyone has to wear.
- The lizard that jumped from the high Iroko tree to the ground said he would praise himself if no one else did.
|The Shrine of Ogun © Olalekan Oduntan|
Pleasing rats to the goddess of the river;
Ogun chase them away to the bush;
They become owners of the bush.
They become occupants of the jungle.
He chases them away to Mekiti;
They become goddesses of river.
Wednesday, 4 November 2015
- By the time the fool has learned the game, the players have dispersed.
- An egg does not fight a rock.
- When you see clouds gathering, prepare to catch rainwater.
- When spider webs unite, they can tie up a lion.
- The horse that arrives early gets good drinking water.
- He who is guilty is the one who has much to say.
- Little by little grow the bananas.
- The fool speaks, the wise man listens.
- The waterfalls do not hear each other.
- The crab does not bite but it is its greeting that hurts.
Tuesday, 3 November 2015
|The Shrine of Osun. © Olalekan Oduntan|
Monday, 2 November 2015
- Do not blame God for having created the tiger but, thank Him for not having given it wings.
- He who tells the truth is never wrong.
- Taking water from the same well doesn't make all the wives' gravy taste good.
- He who hates, hates himself.
- A performing masquerade who tries too hard to outclass his colleagues may expose his ass.
- Children are the rewards of life.
- If you are looking for a fly in your food, it means you are full.
- When the moon is not full, the stars shine more brightly.
- Money is sharper than a sword.
- The witness of a rat is another rat.
Sunday, 1 November 2015
•A farmer does not conclude his corn is ripe without opening it for close examination.
•A child can play with its mother's breasts but not with its father's testicles.
•The chicken says that she cries to let the public know her condition not that her enemy will release her.
BY OLALEKAN ODUNTAN Copyrights: © 2015